Over nearly 50 years, many people have been part of the Miss Maud story.
Although there's been a lot of changes over this time, we've all been guided by the same principles.
It's Our Heritage!
Some highlights of our story so far...
- Maud Edmiston arrived in Perth in 1968 with her husband Ken, finding a very different Perth to today.
- When her mother came to visit, there were very few places for ladies to have lunch. Realising how much she missed the cafes in Stockholm, inspired Miss Maud to open her first store in Carillon City in 1971. Miss Maud is second from left, in Swedish national dress.
- In 1973, Miss Maud brought Smörgåsbord to Perth, opening Miss Maud Swedish Hotel and Restaurant on the corner of Pier & Murray Streets, Perth
- Perth was very excited to host the Miss Universe pageant in 1979 – Miss Maud and husband Ken are seen here with entrants including Miss Sweden.
- The annual Telethon weekend has been held in Perth since 1968. In 1981 Miss Maud’s team of talented pastry chefs created this amazing 7 tier cake – a fleet of trucks were hired to transport the cake to Channel 7, where it was assembled. Due to its massive size, problems arose when trying to get the cake into the studio! But they managed – check out this short historic video where Miss Maud talks about the cake being cut into pieces and sold for 20c for Telethon!
- One of Australia’s greatest sporting moments – winning the America’s Cup in Fremantle! Our fantastic pastry chefs created this replica America’s Cup trophy cake.
- Miss Maud was announced as the Qantas/Bulletin Business Woman of the Year in 1992
- In 1993 the Miss Maud group was selected for the Best Practice Demonstration Program, one of 24 companies Australia-wide. Miss Maud is here with the Honourable Paul Keating, then Prime Minister
- In 1999, Miss Maud was presented with the Royal Order of the Polar Star, Sweden’s highest civilian honour, for services to Sweden. His Excellency Goran Hasselmark, Ambassador of Sweden, presents the honour to Miss Maud.
- The Whitbread Round World Yacht Race came to Perth in 1999. We hosted the captain and crew of Sweden’s entry, Swedish Match
- 2005 Swedish Royal visit to Perth. Miss Maud with Her Majesty Queen Silvia of Sweden and His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden
- In May 2006, the replica of the 1745 Swedish East Indiaman Götheborg came to Perth. Of course Miss Maud and her team of Vikings were there to welcome the Captain and crew to Fremantle.
- In 2011, Customers and staff all joined in celebrations for an amazing milestone of 40 years of Miss Maud.
- The talented young actresses of ‘Matilda the Musical’ had an afternoon of fun and mess with Miss Maud as they baked amazingly original chocolate cakes to be judged by Bruce Bogtrotter!
- May 2018 – Opening of the 18th Miss Maud store at Rockingham Centre