Since 1996, Miss Maud has been inviting our customers
"To have their say in a relaxed way"
creating an amazingly accurate prediction
of State and Federal election results
At Miss Maud "Every opinion matters. Every bean counts" especially in the last 3 weeks of an election campaign!
Maud Edmiston aka Miss Maud launched the "Morning Tea Party of WA" in 1996, and the fun of the first bean count was underway. 20 years later, you… our wonderful customers have helped it grow into Perth’s tastiest poll, becoming famed for its accuracy at predicting both State and Federal elections, with 10 of the last 11 polls called correctly.
It's not unusual to see State or Federal politicians of the day, including Prime Ministers, visiting a Miss Maud store to check out how customers are casting their coffee bean, to get a very accurate insight in how the community is likely to poll on election day.
- April 1996 The first Coffee Bean Poll for the State election. Press coverage at the time shows customer Luci Bertoli casting her coffee bean watched by Miss Maud and Senior Executive Manger Claus Paulus
- October 2004 Miss Maud at Booragoon store, customers predicted Liberal Coalition win
- November 2007 Federal Election – “Kevin 07” campaign, Kevin Rudd visited Miss Maud while in Perth. The election saw Mr Rudd win the election and become the 26th Prime Minister of Australia
- November 2007 Federal Election – The Prime Minister John Howard also stopped in for coffee and a chat while in Perth.
- August 2010 Federal Election. 50276 beans were counted. A ‘Snap Bean Poll’ asked customers to list their top concerns – being health and hospitals followed by education. Miss Maud, Melita Markey Manager Partnerships Mission Australia, the Very Reverend Dr John Shepherd Dean of Perth, Miss Maud & Georgina Sharp, Manger Fundraising & Communications, Anglicare – show the amazing results cake baked by Miss Maud pastry chefs.
- March 2013 State election. Customers' concerns for the State election were Law & Order, Public Health and Public Transport. Miss Maud and Lisa Scaffidi The Rt Hon the Lord Mayor of Perth, together with Miss Maud pastry chefs, present the results of the Coffee Bean poll on an amazing cake.
- September 2013 Federal Election Alannah MacTiernan, Labor candidate for Perth posts her coffee bean
- September 2013 The Hon. John Howard with Mr Ken Wyatt MP and staff at Miss Maud Midland
- June 2016 Federal Election The Hon Julie Bishop Foreign Minister and The Hon Ken Wyatt AM with customer at Miss Maud Innaloo.
- Staff at Miss Maud Whitfords getting ready for another Miss Maud Coffee Bean Poll